Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Two years ago, we hadn't even thought seriously about being parents. Both of us secretly had the idea nagging at us in the back of our minds, but neither one of us had the courage or conviction to voice those thoughts and bring them into the realm of possibility.

Until one warm July day when we received a surprise with two little lines...


And our entire world changed.

Immediately you changed your entire perspective on life. My needs (and those of the unborn babe) became the most urgent needs in the world to you. My desires became your top priority. Caring for the two of us through those first difficult weeks with fatigue, nausea, and mood swings seemed to be the reason for your existence. I know you had your own needs, desires, and wants, and I am amazed and so grateful that you were so easily able to put those aside in the interest of caring for this new life. It was difficult to be sure, until one day when we saw...



the tiniest beginnings of a bump.

And suddenly, all the trouble of the prior months was validated right then. This new evidence of life, growing in my belly, made all those hardships fade from memory. & as those symptoms faded in reality, more new signs made themselves known. This child had a heartbeat & was healthy. My belly grew. I began feeling flutters which turned into kicks that I could feel. Those in turn because kicks that could be seen and felt by others. And I remember the first time you felt a kick, and I'll never forget that moment. You were amazed, and by the expression on your face I'd say in that moment you were forever changed as a person and as a man. In that one single moment, you truly became a father.

We prepared for the arrival of this child. We discovered that it was a boy, and you were so happy. You were so proud to have produced a male to carry on the family name. You imagined raising the child, teaching him to play catch, and going to ball games together. We picked out a name, chosen for both my grandfather and your father. Time passed, and my belly grew larger still. 


And then one day, it was time. You were so worried & attentive to me - to us - that day. I know it was a difficult day for me, and I can't imagine how you felt. Despite the stresses and complications of the day, it was all forgotten in this moment.


That first moment that we held him, our hearts became whole.

And as our son has grown, every day I look at you and am proud to have you as my husband and as the father of my son. I see the love you have for him, it shines brightly through your eyes every moment of every day. I love how much you love him.

Happy Father's Day.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments! I love to hear thoughts and feedback from my readers. If your email isn't provided in your profile, please make sure you provide your email so I can answer you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails