Thursday, September 9, 2010

Home is where the heart is

I'm participating in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop today!

Today I'm writing about my dream home. I just spent the last 30 minutes writing up a list of all the awesome things I could add to dream up the best house ever and finding inspiration pictures from real estate listings and Coastal Living. Beautiful New England ocean-front 3-story home? Check. 4 car garage? Check. Heated bathroom floors for those cold winter mornings? Check.

Then I realized that none of that really matters. Would I love to have a home like that? Absolutely. But all that is worth absolutely nothing without my family to share it with. So I'm erasing my list and creating another description of my true dream home.

My dream home is one where I can be with my family every day. Where I can watch my children learn to walk. A place where I can look out the window and watch my hubby teaching them to play catch, and then scrub the carpet of the dirt they've tracked in from outside. Where we can entertain our friends as though our home is theirs, and where I can sit on the back porch and relax with my husband at the end of a long day. The sounds of our laughter will echo throughout the house long after they have gone to bed, and every place I look will evoke a fond memory in my heart and a smile on my face.



Image credit to Etsy seller JennSki

My home is where my heart is, and my family is my heart. Anywhere we go, as long as it's together, we will make it a home. 

8 comments:

  1. How lovely, and absolutely true. I recently just moved to London and even though I like my life here, I know that this is not the place where I would like to have my dream home. When I told people I was moving there, everyone would be like "Cool! This is so awesome!", but actually, yes, it is amazing, but not as amazing as it could be if the ones I love were with me.
    You found really nice words to describe your dream home, thanks for sharing your thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! My dream home is with my family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... maybe I'm feeling sappy this morning, but your post brought tears to my eyes! I totally agree with you and love that you wrote about it.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing this definitely played upon my heartstrings, and it means a lot that other people enjoyed reading it. Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. But I must say a mud room and pantry would sure make things easier. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see that we both had a similar theme to our posts. There's the dream house that most likely we will never get and then there's the house that you dream about living in it and making it a home with your family. Here's to getting our realistic dream homes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. Back to basics and the important stuff. I chose to write about the single childless friends prompt. Can't wait to see what you write about next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey there and thanks for stopping by my post last week... isn't it amazing that what we think we want and what we really want... and yes NEED... is to have the ones we love be near to us?
    Having a place to sit and unwind while the kids play in the pool- all 6 of them together having fun without fighting??? That IS a Dream come true and I wouldn't have it any other way...
    but large rooms with lots of windows and my very own office/craft room that NOT also the laundry room... that too would be totally awesome ( and is in the home we are planning in SC!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love to hear thoughts and feedback from my readers. If your email isn't provided in your profile, please make sure you provide your email so I can answer you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails