Monday, July 5, 2010

My littlest engineer

You're 16 months old, Munchkin, and although this is a bit late I couldn't let it slip by without an update.

Your mental understanding of the world and how things work never fails to amaze me. Just a few weeks ago, every new object was immediately inspected by shoving it in your mouth for a taste test. Now you've learned that that's not necessarily the best way to go about it. I've noticed this the over the past week when you began to surprise me by not doing that. (Although, as I'm typing this you've walked by be about 5 times with no less than 5 different objects in your mouth).

You're busier and more curious than ever now, and sometimes it seems like you never stop moving. Daddy and I joke that you have two speeds - "ON" and "OFF."

You're also so curious about how things work. You're perfectly happy to sit with a toy for up to 10-15 minutes, putting things in and then taking them out one by one again (sometimes it's more like turning the whole container upside down to dump it all out). You're fascinated by the buckles on your car seat, and you've watched me and Daddy snap them together so many times you can almost duplicate the action yourself. (Just do Mommy a favor and don't figure out how to undo them, okay?). You're such a little engineer, and I think you're going to follow in your Auntie Susan's footsteps!

You learn things so fast by watching us do something just once. There are a lot of examples of this, but the one that comes to mind now is eating. A few days ago you grabbed a fork out of my hand - and then proceeded to use it perfectly to stab the food and guide it to your mouth without even spilling. You had never once used a fork before, but simply by watching us you knew what to do.  You've also learned how to open the dog kennel by watching us open the latch, and you know that the dogs need to go out first thing in the morning & try to help by running to grab their leashes for us.

You're learning new words every day. "Dog" is a favorite right now, and so is "Jack." You haven't mastered "Jill" yet but I bet that will come soon. You're repeating lots of words after hearing us say them, so Mommy and Daddy better get the road rage under control when you're with us! You know the words for a lot of things (probably more than we realize), and though it sounds like gibberish to us now your speech is become more and more comprehensible all that time.

You're learning the names of different body parts, and can point out your toes, nose, and bellybutton when asked. You know the sounds certain animals make and can make the correct sound for each animal pointed to. Sometimes you even make the noise without seeing the picture - like the other day when you were supposed to be napping and Daddy and I heard "woof! woof!" coming over the monitor.

You can tell the difference between Mommy and Daddy now, and you know how to get our attention individually when you want it. You are so affectionate, and although you like to play on your own, you often stop your play to run over and give us a hug. You know that somebody is coming home when you hear the garage door, and you run to the door to greet the person about to walk in.

Throwing things so you can say "uh oh!" is less fun for you now, and that makes Mommy happy. I guess you understand now that once you drop it, it's gone until Mommy or Daddy picks it up for you.

You love bath time more than ever, and you're enamored by the faucet. Nothing makes you happier than to stick your Taco Bell bath cup under the running water to fill it up and pour it over yourself. You get so excited when I turn the water on to rinse your hair, and you try to push me out of the way so you can get to the faucet. You love to splash in the water, and to watch it flow down the drain when bath time is done. Most days you refuse to leave the tub until every last bit of water is gone.

You love to eat - I think you have a hollow leg because the other day you ate an entire grilled chicken breast, most of a baked potato, and almost finished a whole ear of corn. It's hard for Mommy to tell when you're finished because you just keep eating and eating! You're enjoying lots of new foods too; on Saturday you had pizza and strawberry ice cream for the first time. The ONLY thing you don't like is ketchup - but everything else is fair game. If Daddy or I is eating something, we have to share. You don't give us any other choice! You'll stand by with your mouth open like a little bird, just waiting for us to give you a bit of what we have.

look at that pizza face!

Sweetheart, I'm so proud of everything you're learning. There is so much more I could say and so many more details I want to remember. I make sure to tell you this every day - Daddy and I love you so very much, and every day with you is a joy.

I'll love you always & forever,

Mommy

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I love that age. It's so much fun to watch them discover their world. My 4 year old just learned to undo her car seat buckle, but she's been buckling since around your son's age, so you probably don't have to worry too much. Those car seat buckles are hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from BlogFrog. What a sweet post! It's amazing how fast these little guys learn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love to hear thoughts and feedback from my readers. If your email isn't provided in your profile, please make sure you provide your email so I can answer you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails